The cream filling: Ingredients:
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The puff: Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (CAN SKIP THIS)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- Pinch salt
- 5 whole eggs (1 is used for the egg wash)
FIRST –> preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius
To make the pastry cream:
- Pour the milk and 1/4 cup of sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, make sure to stir so the milk doesn’t thicken at the bottom too much.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and whole egg together. Then mix together the sugar and cornstarch and stir them into the egg mixture until smooth.
- When the milk comes to a boil, drizzle the milk into the egg mixture slowly. In a thin and steady stream, constantly mixing. Careful to not scramble the eggs.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and slowly bring to a boil, stir constantly so the eggs do not curdle.
- When the mixture starts to boil and thicken, remove from the heat. Add in the butter and vanilla, mix until the butter is completely blended.
- Pour the mixture into a heat-proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture to avoid a skin forming on top. Refrigerate until chilled.
To make the puff:
- Preheat your oven to 220 celsius degrees
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, water, coconut milk and salt. Over medium heat, allow all the ingredients to combine and boil. When the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and sift in the flour.
- Mix the flour thoroughly using a wooden spoon, continue stirring and mixing until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the saucepan, this should take a few minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Allow the dough to cool down for a little before adding the eggs.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure it’s mixed thoroughly before adding the next egg.
- Transfer mixture to piping bag, you can spread open a piping bag over a cup to allow easy pouring of the mixture. Pipe the mixture onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper in to 1 and half inch circles.
- Dip your finger in some water to smooth out any peaks or ridges on top of the circles, this will prevent the tips of the puffs from burning and make them nice and round.
- Brush the puffs with the egg wash and place the tray in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 220 degrees celsius, then reduce heat to 175 degrees (DON’T open the oven) and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the puffs from the oven, using a knife make a small x at the bottom of each puff to allow them to cool and then place them on a cooling rack.
- When you want to serve the puffs, pipe the cream before serving or 2 hours beforehand, sprinkle with some icing sugar and enjoy!!!